Vessel Maintenance Manager Michael Gorman reports the Potomac River Dory has received more attention in the front boat shop over the past few weeks. So far, the original topside planks have been carefully repaired and stabilized. Running the full length of the 37’ 10-1/2” workboat, these long leaf yellow pine planks are still in good shape. The decks, cabin house, and coamings have all been stripped to bare wood in preparation for new paint all around. She will be repainted in traditional dory colors: green, red, and yellow stripes adorning the lapped sheer strake, and the topsides and deck painted white. After her engine is reinstalled and an all-new bottom is built, CBMM expects to have the dory boat back in the water in May, 2013.
The 1931 workboat was originally built in Banks O’Dee, MD, by Francis Raymond “Peg Leg” Hayden. Historically, Potomac River Dories were built in southern Maryland on the Potomac River and primarily used for oystering. Like other Potomac River Dories, this one is planked fore and aft, with the chine rising high above the waterline at her bow. Towards the bow, the sawn frames reach from the keel to the top of the side planks, stopping just short of the lapped sheer strake. Farther aft, the bottom frames are bolted to the side frames, with no chine log. Her tuck stern and shield-shaped transom are typical of the workboat design. The bottom planks rise out of the water at the stern and the sharply raked transom only touches the water in the center. Washboards reach back to the transom, where there is a curved seat but no decking.