Boatyard Program Manager Jenn Kuhn reports participants in the Museum's Apprentice for a Day (AFAD) public boatbuilding program have begun work building a replica of the deadrise bateau skiff Ghost.
Built circa 1916-1920 in Shadyside, Maryland by Captain Charles Edward Leatherbury, the 15’9” x 5’10” skiff is noted for its herringbone planking and sharp deadrise increasing at the bow and stern.
AFAD participants began the process by taking the lines off the historic skiff. They will continue step-by-step on select Saturdays and Sundays through May, 2013, with drop-in and scheduled participants welcomed. The new boat will be planked in cedar and decked in sassafras, with frames of oak. Most of her other structural members will be constructed of white oak, with the forefoot made up of “chunks” with the grain parallel to the herringbone planking.
A single, 146-square-foot leg-of-mutton sail will be created at the museum during the program, and will later be carried on a raked mast.
Donated to CBMM in 1966 by Mrs. Milton Offutt, Ghost sailed the Severn River extensively until WWII, and later traveled with the bugeye Richard J. Vetra to log canoe races and other regattas along with log canoes Island Bird and Magic. More information about the rebuild and CBMM’s public boatbuilding program can be found online at www.cbmm.org.
Stay tuned for updates on Rosie and other historic vessels.